A dental crown is an artificial restoration that fits over the whole structure of a prepared tooth and is sometimes known as a cap.
Crowns are strong and resemble the shape of a natural tooth. At DrBK, they are crafted by a technician in our expert labs and can be made out of porcelain, ceramic or gold.
A dental crown is suitable for any tooth that has been damaged or weakened by decay. It is also suitable to have a crown when the tooth has had a previous root canal treatment and provides extra support of the structure to the remaining tooth. Crowns are also used to improve the appearance of the tooth and your smile.
What does the dental crown treatment involve?
The treatment usually takes place over two separate appointments.
- Tooth structure is prepared (this will involve removing most of the outer surface of your tooth, and leaving a strong inner core. You will be given some local anaesthetic to ensure you are comfortable during the procedure).
- We will then take impressions of your teeth and create your bespoke crown
- We’ll discuss aesthetics (colour etc)
- Once your crown has been crafted by our lab technicians, you’ll come back for your second appointment
- During this appointment, your permanent crown will be fitted
Will I require a temporary dental crown?
No one wants to walk around with a missing tooth, so we will ensure to provide you with a temporary crown for the interim between appointments.
What is a post-crown?
If a tooth has had a root canal filling we may advise to have a post inserted into the tooth to help support the crown. This can be placed directly into the root filling or our dental technicians can make a custom-made post to accurately fit the shape of the prepared root canal. The post is placed into the root canal and cemented in position ready for the crown to be attached over the top.
How long do dental crowns last?
A crown can last for many years however as with your natural teeth, they are still susceptible to decay around the edges. For this reason, it is really important to maintain a good oral hygiene regime and keep up with regular dental health examinations.